Knowing how to save money is key to success when you are a homesteading family. For some living frugally seems to come naturally, but others struggle. Thankfully, we are here to those of you who need a little extra guidance! Here are some tips for saving this holiday season.
Tips for Living Frugally This Holiday
1.Consider buying lightly used toys: You can get great toys that look like new at Savers, DI, or yard sales. I got an awesome brand new American Girl puzzle set for 50 cents at a yard sale this summer that I intend to give my daughter for Christmas.
2. Make your own gifts: Weighted blankets are fun to make and you can save yourself a lot of money by putting them together yourself for example. You can put together a simple doll or sew some doll clothes quickly and easily to give to your little girl. Last year my hand made doll clothes were a hit as was the hand made teepee for the Barbies to go in.
3. Shop with coupons when there are deals to get things at around 75% off: Black Friday and Cyber Monday are great for this but you can still score some decent deals if you shop around. Don’t just buy it the first place you see it on sale. I use the Krazy Coupon Lady app to know when the things I want are on sale for the best prices and usually with free shipping since I live in the middle of nowhere.
4. Buy things on clearance and save them: Buy gifts when they are cheap and save them for when you need them. Shop after holiday sales after each holiday and buy what you think will come in handy. Mom tip: move your stock pile stash around so the kids have a harder time finding it. There are literally presents hidden under the clothes in the drawers of my room this year, but last year Santa’s workshop was in the tool shed.
5. Enter giveaways. It doesn’t hurt and you can always unsubscribe later if you don’t want to hear from them, but you might get lucky. For those of you looking to improve your homestead this Christmas, we are excited to have partnered with New Society Publishing and Homestead Bloggers Network to bring you this giveaway to help you start 2019 off right!
Christmas Homesteading Giveaway: Total Value $124.98
- One (1) Copy of The Frugal Homesteader by John Moody (Retail value $24.99) https://www.newsociety.com/Books/F/The-Frugal-Homesteader
- One (1) Copy of Raising Rabbits for Meat by Eric & Callene Rapp (Retail value $24.99) https://www.newsociety.com/Books/R/Raising-Rabbits-for-Meat
- One (1) Course from Steader.com (Retail value $25) https://steader.com/
- One (1) $50 Gift Card from Atwoods (Retail value $50) https://www.atwoods.com/
I really enjoyed The Frugal Homesteader and felt it gave lots of tips for those new to homesteading. Even if you have been going for a few years there are likely some things you can learn to make your homestead function more economically. I definitely recommend this book to those interested in homesteading and one lucky winner will get it free!
Raising Rabbits for Meat is incredibly specific but if it is something you are interested in, it provides great detail on the process. Who knows, you might become more interested in the idea after reading it if you weren’t sold already. I am currently in the process of convincing my husband that our next round of rabbits needs to be meat rabbits.
Atwoods has top brands of durable items you will use around your homestead and everyone could use an extra $50.
What are you waiting for? Sign up now to be entered to win these great prizes. The Giveaway will end December 24, 2018 and winners will be contacted by December 28th. Open to US residents, 18 years and older.
This is a sponsored post. I received The Frugal Homesteader and Raising Rabbits for Meat for free in exchange for this review but all opinions are my own. Thanks for supporting Homesteading Unrefined.
I hope you have a Merry Christmas and find ways to stretch those dollars as far as you can while bringing joy to everyone in your household!